Much like one’s general safety can be compromised when you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, your online safety can be compromised in this way too.
Avoid becoming a victim of a phishing attack by following these tips:
- Never reply to emails that ask for personal financial information.
- Visit confidential websites by typing the URL in the address bar.
- Check your email accounts regularly.
- Check that the website you are visiting is secure. Secure websites are marked with a lock symbol in the address bar.
- Be careful with e-mails and personal data.
- Secure your computer and change your passwords you have suspicions.
You can have a safer internet surfing experience by:
- Never visiting untrusted websites or following links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Double-check links before clicking on them.
- Blocking pop-up windows, some of which may be malicious and hide attacks.